Sunday, July 08, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Guy?

First a little quiz. Why this picture and why is this relevant? What movie is this from?

Stakes have been raised once again in the presidential election. I just read the transcript of Rajnath Singh Devil's advocate interview and sure enough, some skeletons appeared to have tumbled out of Mr. Shekhawat's closet.

According to the transcript, there appears to be four principal charges against Shekhwat, who had been hitherto touted as Mr. Clean of Indian politics.
1. He accepted bribe as a young policeman during the British era and was suspended for that.
2. He had cases against him dropped during his tenure as chief minister.
3. Some land related scandal involving his son-in-law.
4. He was an MLA from MP while he had his residence in Rajasthan.
Now, I think the 4th charge is rather hypocritical. Our esteemed PM happens to be an MP from a constituency in Assam.

The Presidential election represents the very fibre of our democracy and it needs to be held by persons of the most impeccable track record. Just by raising these issues, the charges against Pratibha Patil will not go away. At the same time, Mr. Shekhawat needs to answer these questions ASAP.

There was yet another very serious charge against BJP that many of their allegations against Pratibha Patil were manufactured. Apparently Pratibha Patil's bio never said she was founder president of a bank. Well, I found a version of the bio [pdf] on the web which suggests otherwise. I also suspect some spring cleaning was performed. Someone needs to do a proper post mortem, an improper burial may lead to ghost sightings.

Meanwhile, two more things caught my notice. While the allegations of accepting bribe as a cop needs to be answered, I think it is a monumental blunder to imply there was anything improper in accepting British employment by Shekhawat.
"When people left behind everything to join the freedom struggle responding to Mahatma Gandhi’s call, Shekhawat thought it fit to be part of the repressive colonial police," party spokesman Abhishek Singhvi said. "No one knows whose ideology motivated him but the fact remains that he left the force only when India became independent," he said, urging Shekhawat or his campaign managers to explain this part of his past now that he was contesting for the highest constitutional position. [link]
Remember these were the days of Ahimsa. You were supposed to lead a dual existence, accept British salary during the day and wear khadi in the evening and sing Raghupati Raghava. Who accepted British employment during those days? Well, almost everyone, including some great names. Indian soldiers were a proud part of British army during WW II with many valiant victories to their credit.

The second item was nothing but a veiled threat.
On the other hand, the NDA too needs to temper its assault on Patil as it builds Shekhawat's campaign. Patil is, after all, very likely to become Head of State, and the NDA, as the main opposition, will have to deal with her. Midway through the next President’s term will come a general election and a new Lok Sabha. Getting shrill against Patil would be justified if there were a real chance of beating her in the contest. It is fair to raise noises about a rival candidate — especially when there are substantive issues to raise — but the NDA might want to calibrate its opposition in tones that do not become a liability later. [link]
I am not sure what is being implied here. There is a very dangerous message embedded in this. On the other hand, knowing the sort of loyalty Patil feels for the Gandhi family, it is a rather moot point.

I don't know about you, but I want a clean and competent president, someone I can look up to and respect.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I don't know about you, but I want a clean and competent president, someone I can look up to and respect."

Barabar,you reflect the right sentiment.I agree fully with you.

As the Sonia has willed,unfortunately Pratibha patil will be the next RashtraPatil.But may I add,she will be made to resign in mid term...how!...do not know,but skeletons in her cupboard are too many,and many miffed souls will not let her.
AMEN!
Wait for another first.
PI.

In The Shadows said...

Well,

my grandfather was an employee of the British Indian government. Does that make me unpatriotic or non-Indian ?

Also, Gandhi and Nehru were lawyers in the British courts, werent they ???

Anonymous said...

am not getting into these troubled waters that are getting murkier moment by moment...this unconventional image of Audrey Tatouish Juliette Binoche over here left me tottered to my feet....

barbarindian said...

Shadows,

In an earlier post I had asked about the origin of the term Minister of State.

Not only did Nehru and Gandhi (among many others), worked within the British economic framework, they actually agreed to form a subservient provincial Government under the queen's authority. In those days, the term Minister of State implied a minister of a British State (i.e. colony). The term however has very different meaning in different countries.

Strangely though, after independence they still kept the position around. I think they needed to satisfy the power hunger of a large number of fractious groups and thus ended up creating a huge cabinet.

The more you think of it, the more it appears like the country was founded by a bunch of amateurs with a very dubious set of assumptions and ideals.

Anonymous said...

>>Gandhi and Nehru were lawyers in the British courts

Yes and Jinnaha too.
Gandhi even served in British military as a male nurse (or something along the lines) during Boer war.

Queasy Rider said...

There's no need for any critical examination of Singhvi's 'response'. Congress and the commies are so vile that they will never recognise the numerous (a few lakhs, I believe) Indian lives lost in the World Wars. All because they were supposedly working for the enemy. These people were just making a living like many others.

Our PM has no compunctions about speaking of what the British brought to India in glowing terms; yet heaven forbid if we were to recognise that in the end the same 'imperial' Army has proved itself more loyal, professional and sensible than any of our political institutions.

Even if all the charges against Shekhawat are true (not including that bogus one), he still doesn't hold a candle to Tai.

Anonymous said...

While at it,let me tell you all one very strange thing.
You all know that in Delhi there is India Gate and it was known as war memorial earlier.Every Republic Day our PM go there and pay respect to soldiers who died.
OK?
Now my question to you all is who were these soldiers and for which govt they fought and lost their lives?Which war was that?
I will answer if you do not know.

Now my another question...for Barabar.

After WW 2 British,left so many countries,under their occupation.Which another country was divided and which another country had gandhi or nehru and which country has still been paying for what these two men did?

I know barabar u can answer,and u will I m sure.
PI

barbarindian said...

I will wait for Ramachandra Guha's book. My belief is that you simply can not make the entire manifesto true without bending history completely out of shape. I am extremely curious as to how it will be done.

Your second question can not be answered as an Indian citizen without being guilty of high treason.

In The Shadows said...

Which another country was divided??

Prudent indian, do you mean Israel and Palestine... I am not sure if they had anything equivalent of Gandhi or nehru with them..