Shiv Sainiks are at it again, they vandalized The Outlook's Bombay office to protest their leader's less than charitable portrayal in the said magazine's independence day special.This isn't the first time they reacted way over the top for real or imaginary insults to their leader. The previous time was perhaps that statue related issue.
Make no mistake about it, we do believe that this attack was ugly and the perpetrators must be punished. However, we do think that running that story on the 60th anniversary edition was merely political opportunism. Were these people the only villains? If you add 2nd order effects such as poverty, starvation etc., we could have a completely different list.
In a sense the cartoon was most appropriate for Thackeray. His ideology is a virulent blend of ethnic identity based politics, religious dogma and social justice. Shiv Sena has done many curious things in the past, riot involvement aside. They used to send fish sellers to apartment complexes to scandalize and harass vegetarian upper-class folks. They are the strongest proponent of Bhumiputra clauses - a move that is bound to poison India's already divided public in the days to come. Thackeray thundered, Bombay is for Marathis, only to recant a few days later. Bombay is still for Marathis, but as a footnote they add Gujaratis and Parsis for good measure. Bhojpuri people still unwelcome though.
We are still confused about their recent decision not to support Shekhawat for President. Would they be in the Congress camp if Congress had a Marathi leader? This move showed the complete moral bankruptcy of Thackeray. Perhaps they aspire to be like another DMK.
This could be a great opportunity for BJP to lose this ugly appendage although political reality may prevent them from doing so.

3 comments:
I would just like to state that I am Shuvro Aikath and unafraid to use my name now. I was frightened of my own shadow and of using my name in the past, but now I have become brave. I own this blog and want everyone to know my name. Here is a LinkedIn profile about me.
Good job and good work man. Keep it up! I initially thought you were a journalist. Wonder where you get some of those media insights from.
Mehta has apologized to Sikhs for his depeiction of Bhindranwale.
Thackeray's holding his breath I trust?
Post a Comment